Home decorating can prove to be costly and time consuming, but it doesn’t have to be. Even if you don’t have the time or the money for a full home renovation, you can add some style and excitement to your home using the following decorating tips.
Renovations don’t have to cost a small fortune and require a contractor. You have time to get started with these great ideas over the weekend if you have a bit of free time.
1. Add Wallpaper Borders: Adding wallpaper borders doesn’t cost much, and you can do it yourself. Add a border to the top of your ceiling to separate the ceiling from the walls. You can also add borders around doors and windows, or around a mirror or picture on a wall.
Wallpaper border effects can be as basic or as elaborate as you like, from the super-easy to the hard-to-apply. For quick wallpaper border projects, try using strips of wallpaper on top of wood or metal strips to place around a picture frame or mirror.
2. Add Throw Rugs in the Main Rooms: Throw rugs are inexpensive additions to any room. The rug can be in the same pattern as your drapes, or it can be in a pattern that compliments the other accessories in the room. A rug in the room where you do most of your entertaining will help to keep your floor clean and add a touch of color.
Adding decorative throw rugs can be a quick and easy project that you can do in an afternoon. Decorate your dining room, living room or family room with a new throw rug.
3. Put New Drapes and/or Valances on the Windows: Drapes are one of the cheapest, but most effective home improvement projects you can do. The drapes you choose for your windows should match the color scheme of your room and how much light comes through the windows. You can use a dark-colored drape to block sunlight from coming through if you don’t want the room to be bright.
If you have a large window, a valance can help to break up the space and add some visual appeal to your room. Color coordinate your drapes and valances with your furniture and accessories to bring out the best in your rooms.
4. Try Some New Decorative Home Organizing Containers: You can find decorative containers to place on bookshelves, tables, desks, and counters. You can find some really interesting decorative containers that are also functional at any of your home improvement stores.
Decorative storage boxes for your bathroom, kitchen, or bedroom are practical, attractive, and will help you to organize small items. You can also find decorative storage boxes in beautiful styles that can be used as centerpiece containers for events such as parties and weddings. You can get creative with different features to make the storage containers stand out in the room.
5. Try New Ceiling Light Fixtures and New Lamps: Lighting can make a room feel larger than it actually is. Did you know that 70 percent of the light in any room comes from the light fixtures hanging from the ceiling? This lighting design can make a big impact on how your room looks and how well it feels.
If you want to change your existing lighting, try some new options for a quick home decorating project. A great way to add modern style to your home is by adding diamante lights. The shimmering lights are perfect for adding extra appeal to your traditional rooms.
6. Add Some Color: You can add color to your rooms with an accent chair, rug, or a few throw pillows. You might be surprised at how exceptional a little splash of color can make your décor look.
Choose a few colors that you like and think blend well together, and then try to find accessories that match those colors. You should consider the existing furniture and the overall decorating scheme for your house before choosing any new accessories or furniture for the room.
7. Paint Your Cabinets: Did you know paint can help change the way a room looks? Paint is an easy way to update the look and feel of your décor. Test out different paints to see which ones you like best.
If you are painting your cabinetry, be sure to test out several different colors to see which one will work best for you. You might consider painting the cabinets first and then choosing a certain type of finish for your wood furniture.
8. Decorate Your Walls With Canvas Wall Art: Are you tired of the boring look of your walls? Then consider adding some canvas wall art to liven up the room. This can be a great way to add some color and life to a space. Canvas paintings are also easy to take down when you want to do a little spring cleaning.
Choose wall art that reflects your personality, style, and style of home décor. If you’re not sure what your art style is, check out a gallery for prints or canvases and see what appeals to you before shopping for canvas wall art.
9. Add New Decorative Light Switch Covers: You might be surprised at how much of a statement it can make to choose light switch covers that match the room’s décor. A whole room’s worth of lighting can look completely different if you change your light switch covers.
Adding decorative light switch covers isn’t very difficult, yet it can add a new flair to your home. Choose powerful and interesting light switches with decorative themes such as geometric shapes, sculpted heads, modern designs, or metal designs.
10. Add New Cushions to Your Chairs, Love Seat, and Sofa: You can really create the look of a completely different room with just a few new cushions. You can choose decorative or neutral colored cushions that match the tone of your décor. You can also try adding some colorful throw pillows to add some extra color and life to the room.
You will have much more fun decorating your home if you include comfort with your décor. Adding colorful pillows, accent chairs, love seats, and sofas can update any room instantly.
11. Change Your Door Handles and Cabinet Knobs: If you are tired of the same boring look of your house, you might want to consider changing the knobs and handles for your cabinets and door handles. Do a little research online to find decorative door knobs and handles that fit in with your décor.
You can also customize a new faucet with new hardware to give it more character and style for a brand new look. Changing the hardware for your cabinets and doors can do wonders for updating your home’s decorating scheme.
12. Add Decorative Centerpieces to Your Tables: Centerpieces can really make a room stand out in the home décor scheme. The centerpieces should match your existing décor or reflect the mood and style of your house.
You can choose to buy decorating elements such as lamp shades, vases, and decorative candles to go with your tables for a large statement piece. If you want to save money on decorating, you might consider using glass containers since they don’t need much decorating help.